Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Beauty that Awaits

We played peekaboo all the way to work, her peeking above and through the clouds, me weaving the car around the curves and up and down hills.  I wanted so badly to stop and take her picture, but I restrained myself, choosing instead to get to work on time.  But a few hundred feet from my destination, on a slight rise that is the grocery store parking lot just above where I work, I stopped to admire her.


And take a few pictures.

P1860823

P1860817

The tall, modern vapor light could not be avoided, and I begrudgingly allowed him in the picture.  But her natural light and the skirting clouds far outshone his spare, no nonsense outline.


P1860809

The last moments of darkness laying on the hills below her revealed two distinct pictures:   the serene trees crowning the cemetery to the left and the crane rising from the naked, machine scraped landscape to the right.  I wonder what the neighbors are thinking?

As the days grow shorter, my drive to work affords wondrous views of the sun awakening and scattering the dark above fields of grass and grain.  The urge to record the changing colors and shadow is overwhelming.

This day I was fortunate to have a moment to stop.  And look.  And allow the beauty to flood my soul.

May your soul be filled this day with the beauty that awaits.

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul." John Muir

No comments: