Saturday, May 7, 2011

To My Children

You three brave souls.

ph-10053

ph-10053


You three brave souls made me a Mother.  I know, it wasn't easy for any of us, but we survived.  We all grew into it together, through the bumps, the broken bones, the meatloaf surprise, the tears and the laughter.  

My biggest regret is working harder on molding your behavior than listening to your hearts.  My biggest comfort is knowing you love me in spite of that.

I read these words before any of you were born, and tried to live by them:

"My child is a temporary trust from God.  He is 'mine' only in the sense that God entrusted me to love him, to discipline him, to train him.  He was not given so that I might boast about his good points any more than I should be ashamed of his failures.  I am temporarily watching over the development of another human being who rightly belongs to God, and whose destiny will be ultimately decided between him and God alone."

I cannot imagine what God was thinking when He entrusted you to my care.  I do know you all have given me many more opportunities to boast than to be ashamed.

Many more.

You enlarged not only my waist, but also the borders of my heart.  It is a  priceless treasure to be your Mom. 

And now there is a fourth brave soul that has joined your company, one who has made my firstborn a husband and father,

38287_1477917864731_1137292446_31383531_3050589_n

and me a grandmother. Four times!

Nuhouse Sprits

anna

Thank you for holding his heart well, and sharing yours with us.

Love you all lots,


1 comment:

Wife, Mother, Gardener said...

Beautiful Judy.

So glad I check down my blog list this afternoon. Who is the quote by? It puts more words to what the Lord impressed on me before the kids came... that they are not mine to hold on to! Yes, care for, but not for keeps.

Thanks for writing.
Julie