Sunday, March 22, 2009

Henri Nouwen's Hope

If ever a place could steal my heart away from my Texas homeland, it is the mountain range opposite the Windegg Inn, in the countryside high above Innsbruck, Austria. Last summer in the middle of the college tour we chaperoned, after experiencing London's Tower, Shakespeare's cottage, Paris' Eiffel Tower and the Louvre, our tour bus climbed the quiet hills and negotiated the narrow hairpin turns into the Austrian countryside that led to the inn. We were transported from the marvels of man to the marvels of God that sunny afternoon.

Across from the inn was a small chapel, above the inn a pasture with belled sheep. Across the way was a mountainside chalet. Uniting everything was the lush green carpet of grass interspersed with wildflowers.

And the mountains.

My eyes and my soul were drawn to the mountains. I wanted to drink in the ever changing display of light and clouds. I just could not get enough. It was difficult to close my eyes to sleep that night. My soul was overwhelmed with delight.

My hope Nouwen

"I lift up my eyes to the hills— where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2 New International Version


It was such a gift to be there, I wanted to share it with you.

Have a refreshing day of rest.

No comments: