Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Empty Nest Syndrome

I wonder if animals have empty nest syndrome. Mr. and Mrs. Robin have seen their fledglings safely out of the nest and into the big world. Did Mrs. R have a verklempt moment or two when the wee ones took flight?

I never did. Well, ok, I did have a brief teary episode when we left our Principessa at a big college in another state. But she was our little girl. The boys were another thing. Little boys start distancing themselves from Mommy around puberty.

I have chronicled the Robin family from egg to hatch this year. I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the fledglings on their first flight. I think I came close. You saw them all stuffed together in the nest.

P1200670 copy

A few days later, as I approached, the babies flew away in a burst of feathers and fluttering. That is, all but one. He looked like he was settled in for a bit. He was enjoying being able to spread out in the nest.

P1200849

That little robin reminded me of our Son #2, The Baby. He is still living at home, looking for a job. Remember him? The Joker?
ph-10277

That last baby Robin did finally take flight. But it took the scare of my violating his personal space with a camera.

P1200852

That first flight landed him at the base of the tree that housed his nest. His siblings had gone longer distances.

P1200856

Do you suppose being awakened by your mother holding a camera in your face would help The Baby make his move?

I'll keep you posted.